Nicoletta Foods is a new small business based in Maryland that makes all-natural jams and marmalade using family recipes. The proprietors sent me a jar of their blueberry jam, and I have been savoring it ever since! The jam tastes fresh and fruity, less sugary than the mass-produced jams available at the grocery store. Some jams taste like pure sugar, with the tiniest note of artificial fruit flavoring. This is not such a jam. The jam features bits of fresh blueberries and a slightly tangy flavor. The website says that the company has been told that the blueberry jam tastes just like summer, and I agree.
This will definitely be a pantry staple for me from here on out, and you’ll probably feel the same way once you try it. Truth be told: I have probably eaten a good quarter of the jam straight out of the jar. It’s very, very good. After staging my own self-imposed intervention, I decided to use the rest of the jam in two easy recipes that I could share with you all.
First, I made a blueberry whipped butter with orange zest.
The name of the recipe includes all of the ingredients in this one. It’s about five minutes total of effort, but it’s very much worth it. Flavored butters add the perfect touch to homemade biscuits or fresh bread. I co-hosted a bridal shower last weekend, and now I wish I would have done a biscuit bar with several whipped butter options! Whipped butter keeps well in the fridge or freezer and can last through multiple house-guests.
Second, I’ve shared a “recipe” (i.e. not a recipe) for a quick happy hour nibble featuring brie, blueberry jam, and an optional drizzle of balsamic glaze.
I love having last-minute cocktails with my friends and keep a few key ingredients on hand to ensure that I never have to serve corn chips and packaged cookies with a good bottle of wine. The ingredients are brie (I strongly recommend Saint-Andre Triple Cream Brie, it’s heavenly and so soft), blueberry jam, and balsamic glaze (optional) on a bagel chip. It doesn’t get much easier, and it really doesn’t get much more delicious.
- 1 stick butter, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons blueberry jam
- Zest of one orange
- Fresh blueberries, optional garnish
- Blend all ingredients in a standing mixer using the whisk attachment. Mix for about five minutes, until thoroughly whipped and fluffy.
- Serve butter at room temperature, topped with a few fresh blueberries (if desired). Store any excess in freezer.
- Triple-cream brie cheese, room temperature, rinds discarded
- Plain bagel chips
- Blueberry jam
- Balsamic glaze, optional
- Spread a thin layer of brie onto a bagel chip.
- Top with a small dollop of blueberry jam.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze, if desired.
- Serve on a platter with fruits (recommended: grapes, dried apricots, strawberries) and nuts.