We were craving salty carbs something awful this weekend. Our debate was between cheddar biscuits and bacon-spinach crepes. We couldn’t make a collective decision and right when we were on the verge of going out to eat (which would have involved real clothes and makeup), it hit me like a blast of cold shower water: bacon, spinach, and cheddar cornbread! No shower needed. This was a very quick, low maintenance, little baked delight that suited our weekend needs perfectly. I topped mine with an egg just to make it a proper brunch. Well, as proper as a brunch treat can be when one refuses to brush her hair.
You will need:
- 1 8.5 ounce package corn muffin mix (I used Jiffy brand)
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 tsp. each sea salt, pepper, paprika, hot sauce (I used Tabasco) and red pepper
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 400. Generously grease a small cake pan, bread loaf, or several individual ramekins.
- Add bacon to a skillet on medium heat and cook. If you weren’t hungry before, you will be now:
- Meanwhile, whisk together the corn muffin mix, egg, and milk:
- Remove the bacon when cooked through and drain on paper towel. Crumble into small pieces.
- Drain the bacon pan, reserving a small bit of the bacon grease (BF gets so grossed out that I cook things in bacon fat. But yet he loves every bite). Add in the spinach. You will probably not need to use any heat to wilt the bacon, but if your skillet is cool, turn the heat on low for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in the corn, bacon crumbles, spinach, cheddar, and spices to your prepared muffin mix.
- Pour the mix into your pan size of choice:
- Bake for fifteen to twenty minutes, depending on the size of your pan.