Oh the joys of baking with dogs! I could do an entire post comprised solely of pictures of dogs waiting in various stages of patience in front of the oven. They smelled something pretty good going in (although I do have to doubt the palate of a creature that seems to think flies are the best supplemental protein), and they know that when something comes out, there will
always on occasion be crumbs.
These fresh, simple little desserts are perfect for hot weather. They have an airy consistency due to the coconut (flourless!) and a light flavor from the fresh blackberries. I added in basil to make the taste a bit more interesting. Basil added a gorgeous splash of green and a nice clean flavor to the final product.
Freedom thought they looked pretty delicious (PS she is still available for adoption! Take this sweet girl home!). She stays close to my side
when I’m in the kitchen always.
Mops, naturally, wanted none of it. My little grumpy girl.
You can serve these alone or with fresh whipped cream, as a sort of parfait. I had fun arranging mine and serving “family style” (aka no one has to know how many each person eats when they slowly disappear one by one).
Future flavor combinations I’m anxious to try include lavender and peach, raspberry and ginger, and plum with rosemary. I’d love to hear your suggestions!
Blackberry & Basil Macaroons
You will need:
- 7 ounces sweetened coconut flakes
- 7 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/3 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 325. Lightly spray baking sheet with non-stick spray.
- Stir together coconut flakes, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg white until fluffy, then fold into mixture.
- Add remaining ingredients, stirring just to combine.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until macaroons are golden brown.