I have a hard time understanding how the morning isn’t everyone’s favorite time of the day. The peaceful quiet of milling around in the dark while I get my thoughts together and prepare for the day ahead is as close to meditation as I get. Which isn’t very close, because I mainly do all of my chores in the morning. Laundry, dishes, prep work for cooking dinner, tidying, etc. all happens in the Sparkle house before six in the morning. Poor husband. The upside for him is that I do my best cooking before the sun comes up. The downside for him is that he doesn’t care to eat breakfast before ten in the morning. He’ll come around, especially with dishes like this chorizo, sweet potato, and roasted red pepper baked eggs with dill.
I woke up with an immutable desire for chorizo. I opened my eyes, put my feet in my slippers, and went straight to the fridge. Classy. I cooked the chorizo then set it aside in a bowl to drain off as much grease as possible with a paper towel.
Mops was very interested in the fate of the paper towel, so I had to hit pause on cooking and take the trash out, too. Can’t risk another greasy beard incident.
Then in the same skillet (to preserve any remaining chorizo-flavored goodness and to “recycle” any fat that I didn’t drain), I browned the sweet potatoes and onions just a touch. The dish is supposed to be baked, and you can skip this step, but both vegetables really need a bit of cooking to release their flavors, in my opinion.
Next I whisked the eggs with some milk, roasted red peppers, and fresh herbs (dill and parsley). I served the baked eggs in my prized mini cocottes so that I could add loads of cheese to Husband’s portion. I skipped the cheese for myself. I used two mini cocottes and had enough left over for a mini casserole dish.
You can cook this in one 9×9 baking dish as well. Mini cocottes are recommended because they are adorable, but not strictly required. Husband was as thrilled as ever when I woke him up (at 6:05, so I’m saying it was “after six” in the morning) and presented him with a hearty breakfast. Just kidding, he really wasn’t. But I’m holding out hope that the day will come when he relishes the sunrise as much as I do! A girl can dream.
Chorizo & Sweet Potato Baked Eggs with Dill
You will need:
- 5 ounces pork chorizo
- 2 cups sweet potato, shredded
- 2/3 cup onion, diced
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp. fresh dill
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup roasted red peppers, thinly sliced
- dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. each salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar (per serving, optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375. Grease individual ramekins or a single 9×9 baking dish.
- Cook chorizo in a large skillet on medium-high heat until browned, drain off excess fat and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add sweet potato, onion, paprika, salt, and pepper. Pour in olive oil if there isn’t enough fat left from the chorizo. Cook on medium-high heat until just browned, no more than ten minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and fresh herbs. Stir in cayenne pepper and roasted red peppers. Transfer sweet potato-onion mixture into the egg bowl and stir in chorizo.
- Add cheddar (add half into the egg mixture and top ramekins or baking dish with other half), if desired.
- Pour into greased individual ramekins or a single 9×9 baking dish.
- Cook for 30 minutes (individual ramekins) or 45 minutes (single dish).