I was feeling awful week before last, and the only thing that made me feel better was this thick, comforting soup. If anyone in your family falls to the recent flu that’s been going around, hopefully this will help them get well soon.
Corn and Potato Chowder with Sharp Cheddar & Bacon
You will need:
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. minced fresh garlic
- 1 tbsp. ranch dip mix
- 1 tsp. each salt, black pepper, and paprika.
- 2/3 cup white flour
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 4 large potatoes, baked until soft
- 2 large sweet potatoes, baked until soft
- 1 cup yellow corn
- 6 cups skim milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a large pot on medium heat, saute the yellow onion and garlic in the olive oil until tender.
- Stir in the ranch dip and seasonings, butter, and flour. Cook through until it forms a thick, pasty consistency.
- Chop the baked potatoes and sweet potatoes into large but bite-sized pieces. Or enlist helpful BF to assist:
- Gradually pour in milk and chicken broth, stirring constantly until uniform consistency forms.
- Add potatoes and corn and bring to a broil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat and simmer ten additional minutes, slowly stirring in green onions, parsley, cheddar, sour cream, and bacon.
- Serve topped with a grilled cheese crouton and enjoy!