Crab Rangoon is such a delightful little decadence. I love the hot, fresh-from-the-oil crunch of the wonton wrapper and the smooth cream cheese-based filling. I also thought that those same flavor factors would be perfect to serve at a cocktail party to keep people from finding themselves overserved too soon into the evening.
However, I don’t want to smell like a deep fryer at a dinner party, and crab rangoon is best served hot, not reheated, so I was in a bind. I bought all of the ingredients for crab rangoon and mulled over whether or not to sacrifice odor for the sake of my friends’ taste buds. Obviously, I chose style. A girl can’t show up at a party in an apron unless it is a really cute Anthropologie apron
or it’s Halloween. I came up with what I thought was a pretty genius compromise: baking a crab rangoon dip and serving it hot at the party.
I also prepared individual servings of the dip for a dinner party recently. The wonton wrappers were layered like a fan around the ramekins, and the dip was spooned on top and baked. The individual servings looked much more elegant than I expected. They were a fabulous appetizer for a casual dinner party.
Cranberry Crab Rangoon Dip
You will need:
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 12 ounces lump crab meat, drained
- 1 tbsp. lemongrass paste
- 2 tbsp. powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Wonton wrappers
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Stir together all ingredients (except the wonton wrappers), mixing until even consistency.
- To make one large portion of the dip:
- Pour dip into an oven-safe baking dish (9×13)
- Bake for 30 minutes, until dip is bubbling and hot.
- To make individual portions of the dip:
- Spray 12 ramekins with cooking spray.
- Make the wonton crust by layering four wonton wrappers in each ramekin in a fan shape.
- Top with dip and bake for 15 minutes, until dip is bubbling and hot and wonton crusts are golden.
- Serve with crackers or baked wonton chips.
To make quick baked wonton chips:
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Arrange wontons on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake for 5 minutes, or just until golden brown.