Roasted chicken and vegetables is one of my favorite comfort foods (in the “healthy comfort food” subsection, of course). Don’t worry cookie dough, you’re still on top of the all-around favorite comfort food list.
I knew I was going to have to work late one evening a few weeks ago, so I marinated some chicken breast in an herby, slightly-spicy blend of olive oil, white wine, white wine vinegar (which I found at our local supermarket, but you can swap it out for red wine vinegar or even balsamic) and lemon.
I left a
detailed and extremely helpful, not at all confusing note to Husband on the counter on which I had scrawled “Cook chicken in fridge @ 375. Add chopped veggies in fridge. Do not make any alterations to the plan. Except add meat fat – bacon/chorizo -if you want.”
You see, I wasn’t going to take responsibility for incorporating bacon into this delicious dish. I needed to clearly, and in writing, have this indulgence on Husband’s head. Don’t blame me, I was just trying to make a healthy and flavorful dinner to feed my family.
He didn’t bite. Boring old chicken and vegetables. That’s not true, this dish was truly fantastic. I served ours on a bed of quinoa (cooked with chicken stock for extra flavor). You can also sprinkle some feta or chevre on top if you’re feeling like slightly more of an indulgence than called for in the recipe, but less of an indulgence than adding bacon.
Not only is this a healthy, tasty dinner, but it’s very easy to put together on a busy weeknight. Simply marinade the chicken during the day, chop up your produce of choice (I used sweet potatoes, roasted red peppers, and asparagus) and set aside, then when you’re ready to cook, stir them all together and bake for about an hour.
Just enough time to cook some “snack bacon” while you wait.
Herb-Roasted Chicken with Sweet Potatoes, Red Peppers & Asparagus
You will need:
- 4 chicken breasts, cut in half (~2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- Juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme, chopped (or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme)
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh garlic
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp. dried parsley
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 8-12 stalks asparagus, rinsed and trimmed
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet potato, chopped into thin slices
- In a large bowl, stir together olive oil, wine, lemon juice and zest, garlic, vinegar, and all herbs/spices. Add onion and chicken and marinade for 6-8 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375.
- Transfer chicken and onions to a large oven-proof baking dish (9×13). Add asparagus, roasted red peppers, and chopped sweet potato.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until chicken and vegetables are cooked.
- Serve hot on a bed of quinoa