My friends sometimes tease me for describing food or ingredients as “nice”. Please excuse me, dears, but this is a very nice salad indeed. Roasting the parsnips and carrots with honey and balsamic draws out the flavor considerably. Your tastebuds will be downright tantalized.
Tossing anything with fresh parsley, avocado, and lemon juice is a great idea. The soft, avocado and leafy parsley are a wonderful way to add freshness to a bowl. Plus, adding something green allows this to qualify as a salad instead of a side dish.
Honey-Balsamic Parsnip, Carrot & Avocado Salad
You will need:
- 3 medium parsnips
- 2 cups of carrots
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh garlic
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2 tsp. each paprika, sea salt, black pepper, and lemon juice
- 1 bunch (appx. 1/2 cup) finely diced fresh parsley
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Chop parsnips and carrots into small pieces
- Toss carrots and parsnips with garlic, honey, spices and 2 tbsp. of lemon juice, olive oil, and balsamic.
- Bake in a large oven-proof dish for approximately one hour, until browned and softened.
- Let cool, then dice parsnips and carrots. Reserve liquid from baking.
- Pour liquid into a large bowl. The roasting liquid will be a slight part of your salad dressing and will add depth to the flavor, I promise.
- Add the roasted, diced parsnips and carrots, then stir in remaining balsamic, olive oil, lemon juice, and avocado. Add a bit more sea salt, if needed.
- Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.