With all of 3 days until Christmas, I have got to
start finish my holiday shopping! I have serious shopper’s anxiety. I avoid supercenters like the plague and then can only talk myself into going at very odd times (5:30 am grocery shopping) so I can avoid the crowds. I don’t know why shopping triggers this kind of stress for me, it’s not people or social situations, it’s really just shopping. All that said, I have to reward myself with many treats to summon the inner fortitude that I will need on this day filled with crowds, shoppers, and lists. And I have found this strength through a nice bowl of eggs bursting with Mexican flavor.
You will need:
- Four eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. minced fresh garlic
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup diced yellow squash
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/2 tsp. each sea salt, pepper, paprika, dried oregano, and dried parsley
- 1 tsp. Mexican hot sauce (Tapatio is my staple)
- 1/2 cup grated colby jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons toasted pepitas
- Tomatillo salsa, as desired
- 1 avocado
- Whisk the eggs, milk, and hot sauce in a small bowl. Stir in the cheese and set aside.
- In a medium sized skillet, add the olive oil, garlic, mushrooms, and zucchini to the pan on medium heat.
- Add the remaining spices and stir occasionally until the mushrooms and squash are cooked.
- Add the spinach last and prepare to be amazed at how quickly it wilts down from a big measuring cup into a shrivelled up portion of what it once was.
- Stir in the egg mixture and cook through.
- Slide the eggs into bowls to serve and top with sliced avocado, pepitas, and salsa. It is so good.