New low. I’m leaving for a brief (two day) work trip to Tulsa this morning. Tulsa is just a couple of hours away, so I’m driving over this morning and staying overnight. This means I need to leave the house at 5:30ish to get there on time. Which obviously means I don’t plan on packing until approximately 5:25, because I just have got to get this recipe posted. I’m a terrible procrastinator. However, this isn’t the new low. The new low has to do with sweet little Ketch. When I woke up (at an admittedly horrendous hour, even by my standards) and opened the door to Ketch’s room (the first thing I do when I get up), he looked at me and literally started whimpering! Usually he just looks at me and then sighs and goes back to sleep, or sighs and walks over to the couch, if he sees that the heated blanket is a-blastin’. Here’s a shot of him scowling at me from the heated blanket:
However, this morning he decided to take a stand against early rising. So, I’m not sure how we can make this a saying, but it sounds like a Southern-ism waiting to happen. “She’s up so early the bird dog’s singing” (his cries sound like weird mermaid songs). Or, “she’s up before the dog cries.” It needs work, but not that much work. Many Southern-isms (which I should really call redneck-isms, but I don’t take kindly to insulting my own folk) don’t make sense anyway, so no need for perfection here.
Now for the recipe that I just have got to post before I even consider whether or not I have any idea where I’m heading this morning. Or what I’ll be wearing, or if I do need four pairs of heels (no, probably five). Raspberry and coconut pound cake!
I started with Paula Deen’s Mama’s Pound Cake recipe as my base (see link below in the recipe). It’s a tried-and-true simple pound cake that I’ve been making for years. Over time, though, I’ve re-tooled it a bit. I’ve swapped out a lot of the sugar for fresh fruit and I’ve increased the vanilla extract, added some lemon extract, swapped out milk for coconut milk, and added shredded coconut for more nutty goodness.
The recipe is below, and now I’m going to start packing. Just after I watch a couple more Beyonce music videos and fix my husband dinner in the crock pot. Procrastination is a terrible illness.
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups white sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. lemon extract
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and lightly flour a tube pan or bundt cake pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Mix together butter and shortening in a large bowl. Gradually incorporate sugar, about 1/2 a cup at a time.
- Add coconut milk, vanilla, and lemon extracts.
- Mix in flour gradually, about 1/4 of the flour mixture at a time.
- Add shredded coconut and fold in fresh raspberries last.
- Transfer the batter to tube pan.
- Bake for one hour to one hour and fifteen minutes, until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.