Cherry and almond are a match made in heaven, in my opinion. I made my own heavenly-sent twist on this fantastic flavor pairing in a delightful new cookie recipe. I don’t think anyone ever complained of having too many cookie recipes. This is a soft, almond-flavored sugar cookie with dried cherries and shredded coconut.
The cookie texture is very cake-like, which I love, but I understand that cookie texture preference is a serious dividing line, so I feel compelled to warn readers.
You will need:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp. milk or cream (I think you know which I used)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, stir together baking powder, flour, and salt. Set aside.
- Combine butter and sugars in a separate mixing bowl until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing until combined, then pour in extracts.
- Slowly incorporate flour mixture, about a cup at a time until mixture has an even texture.
- Add in coconut and cherries last.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until slightly golden and browned a bit.