We have had some absolutely beautiful spring weather here in Northwest Arkansas (except for those silly old tornadoes, but never mind that). This warmer weather provides all kinds of inspiration in the form of
pinterest farmer’s market stands. I love all of the components of this recipe: crunchy sugar snap peas, soft chevre, sweet-tart cherries, and creamy avocados.
The warmth of the skillet used to cook the sugar snap peas is sufficient to cook the chevre into a delicate little sauce that coats the sugar snap peas just right. Here’s a saucy close-up:
This little creation also received the equivalent of the James Beard award in my house: Fiance LOVED it. As in wanted more. After we ate the whole mess of them between the two of us. See children, dreams do come true – with a bit of avocado!
Sugar Snap Pea Saute with Chevre, Cherries, and Avocado
You will need:
- 2-3 cups sugar snap peas
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 tsp. each salt, pepper, and paprika
- juice and zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/2 cup chevre
- 1/2 cup dried cherries (low sugar or no sugar, if possible)
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- Add olive oil and garlic to a medium-sized skillet skillet on medium heat. Let the garlic heat up for about two minutes then stir in the sugar snap peas.
- Cook the peas for 10 – 12 minutes and add in salt, pepper, paprika, and lemon (juice and zest) about halfway through.
- Remove skillet from heat and pour in cherries and crumbled chevre. The heat from the dish will be sufficient to melt the chevre down and make a simple sauce.
- Your dog will start to become interested at this point.
- Stir in diced avocado last and serve warm.