“What I say is that, if a man really likes potatoes, he must be a pretty decent sort of fellow”
– A. A. Milne
If potatoes are good enough for the gentleman who brought us Winnie the Pooh, well they are good enough for me. For you decent sorts of fellows out there, here is a favorite side dish. I love mashed sweet potatoes and I love the unexpected flavor and texture that avocado lends to the mix.
Sweet Potato + Avocado Mash
You will need:
- Three sweet potatoes, washed and unpeeled
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 1 tsp. each course ground sea salt, black pepper, Greek seasoning blend, and dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 ripe avocado (or two, if you feel so inclined)
- Turn the oven to 375.
- Prick the potatoes with a fork and bake for 45 minutes, until sweet potatoes are very soft.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, remove from the oven and mash in a large bowl, removing any big chunks of skin.
- Stir in the butter, milk, olive oil, cheese, and spices.
- Remove the skin and pit of the avocado and add to the bowl, mashing with sweet potato mixture.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
- Note that any leftovers are still awesome, even though the avocado will brown.