I struggled with what to call this post. S’mores cookies is too bland, but maybe “twisted” sounds too nefarious for sweet little cookies. By “twisted,” all I mean is that I used chocolate brownie flavored marshmallows and Hershey’s Cookies and Cream candy bars (white chocolate with chocolate cookie bits).
Maybe “role reversal” cookies or “Paula Abdul – Opposites Attract” cookies would have been better, but alas, twisted s’mores cookies it is. The Cookies and Cream bars were a stroke of genius, if I do say so myself. The chocolate cookie morsels nestled within the white chocolate candy bars added a unique texture to the cookie, a crunch within a crunch.
I’m a bit of a s’more enthusiast. We attempted to have a s’mores buffet set up at my wedding. There was a covered fire pit adjacent to the lodge where we had the wedding, but the stormy rains kept folks (the bride included) reluctant to get muddy on the walk over. We had strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla marshmallows and inappropriately named “fun sized” Cookies and Cream plus traditional milk chocolate candy bars in cute jars for a DIY dessert. We even ordered s’mores sticks and had napkins at the ready. All we needed was a crowd!
The impact of the chilly, rainy night on the immediate future is that we have s’mores ingredients for 150 people in our house right now. This recipe barely makes a dent in our stockpile of graham crackers and candies, but we enjoyed the cookies so much that we don’t really mind having ingredients on hand to make them over and over again for the next year!
Makes 3 dozen cookies
- 1 cup butter, slightly softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 1/2 cups chopped chocolate marshmallows
- 2 cups chopped white chocolate or Cookies & Cream bars
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.
- Mix together the butter, shortening, vanilla and sugars in a large bowl until creamy.
- Add in eggs, one at a time, mixing to combine.
- Gradually incorporate the flour mixture.
- Add graham cracker crumbs, marshmallows, and chocolate last, evenly distributing in the dough.
- Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.